Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Where do you like to talk?


It's no news that one of the key components to a successful relationship is communication.  However, in the midst of our busy lives, between working, exercising, attending to others (especially if you have children), feeding ourselves, staying organized, and taking a little time for ourselves, it isn't hard to go a complete day without so much as a one-minute conversation with our partners.

In a Redbook article I just read, one couple who was interviewed mirrored this struggle: "'It's funny, because I always thought that when you lived with somebody, you'd automatically know everything that was going on,' she says. 'But we find that if we don't take that time to connect with each other, it's really easy for life to get in the way.'" For couples who live together, communication needs to be more intentional.

Having a good conversation with my husband is one of the things that fills me up most.  I'm reminded of how much I care about the person I've chosen to spend my life with.  But, sometimes sitting across the table and looking into each others' eyes can make me... well... speechless.  I feel like our best conversations come from shoulder-to-shoulder moments, like going on walks or driving in the car.  The lack of eye contact takes off the pressure off of having to say something quickly in return.  Words come more freely and naturally.

This weekend we are taking a little trip to Galena, IL -- one of my favorite places on earth.  I went there all the time growing up and have loved sharing it with Mike.  One of the best parts is all the time in the car.  It's a 2.5 hour drive to get there, plus all the long, winding country roads between the antique stores, wineries, and quaint downtown make for lots of car time, too.  I'm looking forward to relaxing and catching up with my husband!

How about you?  Where do you feel like you have your best conversations?


image via Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. Loving the grayish purple shade...might have to pick one up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I read every single one. :)