Thursday, February 27, 2014

Spring staples -- that you can start wearing now!

spring staples




It's the end of February.  There may be snow on the ground, but that doesn't mean I'm not looking ahead to what I'll be wearing as the temps rise.  For the past year, I have made an effort to invest in quality pieces that can be worn year round, depending on the styling.  When I rounded these items up, I had the same philosophy in mind.

The clothes:  To begin, I chose a different take on the skinny jean.  They're a staple, we all have 'em, but it's time to explore some different opportunities.  This spring, we're seeing a lot of lighter wash denim and also grey denim.  Grey denim has a bit of the edge of black denim, but with a softer and more feminine wash.  It pairs well with edgy moto jackets, but also with girly silk blouses, like the one I chose.  Joie is famous for their quality silky blouses, and I'm in love with the vintage floral pattern.  However, if we stop there, you'll freeze to death.  So, I added the cargo jacket for its versatility.  I have one and I can't recommend it enough.  Pick one with a cinched waist (or with a drawstring) to avoid looking frumpy.  Then, just wear it like a cardigan or denim jacket -- virtually anything can be paired underneath.  I'm even thinking of wearing mine over maxi dresses!

The accessories:  If you've invested in a bunch of statement necklaces, fear not.  They're still a strong component to your wardrobe.  However, take a look at long necklaces, like this one from Betsey Johnson.  Worn layered, they have a worldly appeal.  Even play with mixing silver and gold!  Pair this with a back-to-basics bag, like this Kate Spade Saturday crossbody.  I love the neutral color (read: wear with anything!) and the simple construction.  My favorite of these, though, are the d'Orsay flats in the metallic texture!  Ballet flats are a timeless classic, and the construction has been changed just a bit to show a pointed toe and cutouts on the side.  It's definitely a little more intense than a simple flat.

What do you think?  What trends are you excited about for spring?

1 comment:

Thanks so much for commenting. I read every single one. :)