Monday, August 19, 2013

The secret's in the sauce: my chicken recipe


This here's one of my favorite things to eat!  During the summer, Mike and I grill whenever we make dinner at home.  We use an old-school Weber Grill, charcoal and all.  The flavor from the coals is so rich and savory.  I'll never go propane! 

Anyhow, we have our jobs down pat when it comes to chicken.  I make the marinade and Mike grills.  Usually, we have a glass of wine or beer in hand as we peer over the glowing grill, watching our creation become dinner.  We always make more than we need so that we can use the rest for leftovers.  Then things like this salad happen, and all bets are off. 

Interested?  I'll share my recipe for the marinade and my ingredients for the salad.  I love them because they're easy, uncomplicated, and ALWAYS deliver. 

The Marinade
Equal parts olive oil and teriyaki grilling sauce (this stuff is thicker than the soy-sauce like table sauce).  Usually I use about 1/3 cup each, for about 4 chicken breasts. 
1 Tablepoon lime juice.
Salt and pepper to taste.
1 Tablespoon garlic (I always use the jarred kind -- so easy and just as good IMO!)
1 pinch cumin
1 pinch red pepper
1 pinch mexican blend spices

Let the chicken soak with the marinade in a plastic ziploc bag for at least 20 minutes, but no more than 1 hour.  When we grill, we leave the lid off so the edges of the chicken get a chance to get crispy.  One neat trick for grilling the chicken is that if you do it at night, you'll know the chicken is almost done when you can no longer see the light from the coals through it.  Pretty neat!

The Salad
50/50 Blend Spinach and Arugula
Mandarin oranges (in can is fine)
Slivered Almonds
Wonton Strips (We get the Target Market Pantry kind.  So good!)
Balsamic (go easy on it -- the juices from the oranges give the dressing extra body!)
Salt & Pepper to taste

The nice part about this is that you can use hot, fresh chicken for a warm/cool mix, or you can use your leftover chicken (like I did today) and it's just as good.  The marinade from the chicken gives the salad so much flavor!

Hope you enjoy!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I read every single one. :)