Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Thrifting shop successful; Emily stunned

Adrienne Vittadini


Stuart Weitzman

???

Monika would always waltz in, flaunting the ridiculously amazing thrift finds I've ever heard of -- so much that I almost didn't believe her.  She'd describe the most exquisite designer finds, and I'd hang on her every word.  The best part was yet to come: the price.  She gets her hands dirty, sifting through Salvation Army after Salvation Army, taking the time to look through everything.  She's become so good at it, she can spot a great item from halfway down the aisle. 

For weeks I've dreamt of the day I'd go with her.  When we finally found time for us to make a shopping trip, I was giddy.  And, ya know what?  It was GREAT!  She took me out to a far-flung Salvation Army.  On the way there, we got so absorbed in conversation that we actually got lost twice.  Yes, twice. 

The moment we walked in the door, she glanced down at what I thought to be a decrepit looking little table and exclaimed, "I want that!"  She went on to describe what she'd do to it, and it was then that I understood that I was shopping with a true master. 

She pulled out several winners as I went along empty-handed.  I almost gave up interest.  And that's when I found the sparkly Adrienne Vittadini.  It's Alice in Wonderland meets couture meets vintage meets that sparkly dress that I seriously just bought last week.  I scooped it up in my hands, cradling it like the gem it is, and my vision suddenly changed.  It was as though the rest of the room turned grey, and the things that called out to me were in splendid, brilliant color, yelling out for me to come and get them. 

To say the least, it was a successful shopping trip.  I tried something totally new and loved it.  I can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

  1. love all the sparkles!! Great finds - I wish I were better at vintage shopping.

    The Style Scribe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merritt-- it takes time!! Go early on a weekday. It pays off! Thanks for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I read every single one. :)